Congratulations! You’ve closed on your new home—now it’s time to register for your STAR credit. New STAR applicants receive a credit in the form of a check directly from New York State instead of receiving a school property tax exemption. The amount of your STAR benefit is the same regardless of how you receive it. New Basic and Enhanced STAR applicants must register with the New York State Tax Department to receive a STAR check.
Register by July 1 to receive your check in September.*
If you register after July 1, you’ll receive your check at a later date.
Property owners without access to a computer can register by phone weekdays from 8:30am to 4:30pm (518-457-2036).
* Note that homeowners in Nassau and Suffolk Counties who register by July 1 will receive their STAR checks in October and December, respectively, due to the later school tax billing dates on Long Island.
Are you eligible for STAR?
The total income of the owners and the owners’ spouses who primarily reside at the property must not exceed $500,000. The income limit applies to the combined incomes of only the owners and owners’ spouses who reside at the property.
- The income limit for Enhanced STAR is annually adjusted for inflation. The income limit applies to the combined incomes of all owners (residents and non-residents), and any owner’s spouse who resides at the property.
- 2021 income limit – $90,550
- 2022 income limit – $92,000
- All owners must be at least 65 years old (unless the owners are spouses or siblings, in which case at least one owner must be at least 65) as of December 31 of the year of exemption.